Fillmore Gas Company, Inc.            

10577 Rte 19
P.O. Box 181
Fillmore, N.Y. 14735

Safety

Natural gas is one of the safest and cleanest burning energy sources available. However, like all of our modern conveniences, certain precautions are necessary to ensure safety. The participating member companies of the Northeast Gas Association have created several natural gas safety videos. Click here to view.

Gas Odor

Natural gas is colorless and odorless. We add an agent that produces a distinctive "gas smell" to make leaks detectable.
If you detect a faint gas smell, check to see if you have a pilot light out or a cook stove burner that is not completely turned off. If you smell a strong gas odor, or are unable to detect the cause of the odor:
•Do not switch lights on and off. 
•Do not use a telephone or cell phone.
•Do not light any matches. 
•Open doors and windows to ventilate. 
•Leave the premises and then use a nearby phone or a cell phone to call Fillmore Gas Company, Inc. at (585) 567-2272.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and potentially dangerous gas produced when fuel (heating oil, propane, kerosene, charcoal, gasoline, wood or natural gas) is burned without enough air for complete combustion. If inhaled in quantity or over time, carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness, brain damage and even death.

Learning to identify the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is the first step toward protecting you and your family. These symptoms include:
•Fatigue
•Coughing
•Headache
•Irregular Breathing
•Dizziness
•Overall Paleness
•Nausea
•Cherry Red Lips and Ears
•Impaired Judgment
•Loss of Consciousness

If you, or anyone in your household, experience these symptoms, get into fresh air immediately and seek emergency medical care.

There are a number of steps you can take to minimize the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, including:
•Have your chimney, appliances and heating equipment inspected and tested by a qualified professional every year.
•Install vent-free heaters in accordance with manufacturer specifications, never using them as a primary heat source.
•Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Do not rely on carbon monoxide detectors as a substitute for maintaining appliances, heating equipment or chimneys.
•Clear snow and ice from exhaust vents and intake air vents for gas appliances to prevent carbon monoxide from forming in your home.
•Never use a gas oven or stove top for heating your home.
•Never run a fuel burning engine such as a generator or an automobile in an enclosed space.
•Never use a portable charcoal, propane or natural gas grill indoors.

Dig Safely New York

In order to avoid utility damage, which may put your safety and the safety of others at risk, you are required to notify Dig Safely New York at least two and no more than 10 working days prior to any excavation or demolition projects. 

Call 811 or 1-800-762-9672 before you begin any excavation project. Whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, smart digging means calling Dig Safely New York before each job. For more information see: http://www.digsafelyny.com/

​Gas Safety 
​Outdoors
Snow and ice can damage gas meters, regulators and pipes. Never pile snow on a meter set. Ensure that overhead ice accumulation does not endanger the equipment. Do not obstruct meter sets to ensure quick access in an emergency and reading accuracy.

Appliance Connectors 
Per the Consumer Product Safety Commission, certain gas appliance connectors should be replaced. (See http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/News-Releases/1997/CPSC-Warns-About-Dangerous-Flexible-Gas-Connectors-Used-on-Home-Appliances/) Gas connectors are corrugated metal tubes used to connect gas appliances in your home to the gas supply pipes. Some older uncoated brass connectors can fail causing a gas leak that could result in a very dangerous situation. If any of your gas appliances have uncoated brass connectors they should be replaced immediately with a new approved connector. Do not move your appliance to check the connector. Moving the appliance, even slightly, could cause the complete failure of one of these connectors. These connectors should only be checked and replaced by a qualified plumber, heating contractor or appliance repair person.

Water 
Water can damage your natural gas appliances. If any gas appliance burner or its controls have been under water, DO NOT attempt to relight. A qualified contractor should be called to inspect the equipment.

​Heating Safety and Efficiency
Before the winter heating season begins, have your heating system inspected by a qualified contractor.
Please be sure to keep flammable materials outdoors and in approved containers, and far away from your furnace, water heater and other gas appliances.